Our client is a large city in Michigan that has received numerous recognitions for being one of the best cities to live in, along with a series of other #1 national rankings. The City requires an Environmental Services Manager (ESM) to lead the Environmental Services and Wastewater operations. The position includes advanced professional, managerial and leadership in the planning, organizing, implementing and directing of programs and activities regarding energy, lighting, duct and smart systems, and public utilities, including wastewater treatment and industrial pretreatment program administration, collection system maintenance, stormwater management, environmental management, safe and equitable street lighting, and related utility functions. The ideal person will be highly strategic and be able to continue the wastewater designation as a Water Resource Recovery Facility that achieved Utility of the Future Today recognition. Work is performed under the executive direction of a senior executive staff member. Supervision is exercised directly or indirectly over all employees in Environmental Services composed of 112 personnel.
The purpose of this job is to provide significant leadership and exemplary services dedicated to protecting the environment, public health and welfare. Responsible for the City’s Wastewater and Storm Water Infrastructure operation and maintenance. Ensures the City’s compliance with regulatory requirements and implements policy as stated by the City Commission. Develops and manages a budget which supports the department’s outcomes and City Polices. Develops and implements regulator and Citywide policies. Responsible for asset management related to the City’s Wastewater and Storm water infrastructure operation and maintenance.
Specific responsibilities for this position include:
- Provides leadership in compliance with the City’s Wastewater and Storm water NPDES permits; implements minimum control measures for storm water; ensures a compliant effluent from the wastewater plant
- Determines priorities; develops short and long-range plans to meet future wastewater and storm water needs; analyzes and evaluates methods of operation and procedures to be followed
- Develops modified pollution control measures; presents proposals to City and State authorities; recommends administrative or legal action as required
- Interprets and enforces wastewater, storm water and air pollution control ordinances, codes and laws
- Oversees City’s wastewater and storm water infrastructure operation and maintenance
- Oversees City’s energy, lighting, duct and smart systems infrastructure operation and maintenance
- Prepares and presents annual and multi-year departmental budget; prioritizes capital plan; oversees financial performance
- Develops emergency response plans for critical operations; directs emergency repair operations; supervises consultant/contractor services
- Coordinates activities with contractors; confers with state, local and federal government officials; confers with business and civic leaders; addresses concerns and delivers speeches before groups and professional organizations; explains department activities to the media
- Directs purchases of department supplies, equipment and services; administers and executes contracts
The minimum training and experience for this position requires:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in biology, chemistry, environmental science, public administration, or a related field
- At least five (5) to seven (7) years of progressively more responsible experience in public administration, utilities or environmental management, including supervisory or managerial experience
- Licensure as a Professional Engineer is encouraged, but not required.
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities
- Required Licenses or Certifications – Certified Class “A” Wastewater – as issued by the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energyor ability to obtain licensure within one year.
Qualifications for this position include knowledge of:
- Principles and operating practices related to wastewater treatment, sewer collection and maintenance, storm water management and air pollution monitoring
- The chemical and physical processes involved in wastewater treatment
- Federal, State and local laws, ordinances and codes affecting wastewater treatment, sewer collection and maintenance, storm water management and air pollution monitoring
- Electrical, Water, Storm water and Wastewater Systems equipment, instrumentation and processes
- Asset management
- Safety standards and precautions pertaining to the use and operation of heavy equipment
- Budget preparation and administration
- Principles and practices of employee supervision
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment
Additional skills and abilities for this position include but are not limited to:
- Customer service
- Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships
- Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature
- Performing basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, and ratios
- Assigning, prioritizing, monitoring, and reviewing work assignments
- Develop key policies and coordinate implementation
- Ensure safe working and public conditions
- Read, develop and implement safety programs
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Meet schedules and deadlines of the work
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
- Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
The salary for this position is $104 – 133K plus and excellent benefits package.
Interested candidates should forward a resume (MS Word attachment preferred) plus a brief email describing your relevant experience and reasons for your interest to: Christl@jsmithassoc.com. Or, you may call (519) 270-3780 for more information. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
JEFF SMITH & ASSOCIATES is a technical recruiting firm that specializes in the placement of exceptional candidates in the Water and Wastewater Treatment industries. To view other opportunities on which we are currently working, go to our website at: www.jsmithassoc.com