Our client has won multiple customer service awards and is recognized for their dedication to their employees. They require a Business Development Manager – Water Utilities to develop business opportunities in Texas and the Southwest Region of the US. This position will be a member of the business development team and will have direct responsibility for building relationships with public and private sector water and/or wastewater utilities and identify and develop new projects and/or acquisition investment opportunities in the water and wastewater sectors.
Functions of the position include:
- Initiating and managing relationships with key industry participants, including public sector water/wastewater entities such as home-owners associations (HOAs), districts, authorities and municipalities, private sector investor-owned utilities, and large real estate developers
- Developing and maintaining a network of key contacts at contract operations, consulting and construction companies focused on water/wastewater utilities in the region for the purposes of lead sharing and partnership opportunities
- Developing relationships with state and county agencies including water and wastewater regulators to introduce the company’s business model and identify potential candidates for value-added partnerships to achieve and maintain desired safety levels, standards and regulatory compliance
- Translating stakeholder requirements into appropriate partnership proposals; and managing the resulting projects such that the company can successfully meet stakeholder expectations and financial goals
- Drafting, structuring and negotiating proposals for water and wastewater projects, including acquisitions, development projects, joint ventures and/or public-private partnerships
- Collaborating across internal and external teams, including engineering, finance, legal and regulatory, among others, to develop successful water/wastewater proposals and investments
- Developing specific business plans, targeting lists and tactics for approaching the market with the support of the Director of Business Development
- Gathering necessary parameters for the business development team to complete financial analysis of investment opportunities, including pro forma impacts on shareholders, customers and other key stakeholders
- Gathering, interpreting and summarizing regional market intelligence
- Presenting potential investment opportunities to the business development team for further evaluation
Requirements for this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. Masters of Business Administration (MBA), Public Administration (MPA) or Public Policy (MPP) a bonus.
- Minimum 3+ years of proven business development, sales or relationship management experience
- Qualitative and quantitative analytical skills, including ability to analyze a wide variety of business opportunities
- Demonstrated negotiation skills and the tenacity to bring stakeholders through long and complex deal cycles to successful closing
- Understanding of utilities, water industry, public-private partnerships and/or related businesses preferred
- Existing strong relationships with districts, authorities, municipalities, consultants and/or contract
- Strong interpersonal skills, strong written and oral communication skills, proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, and excellent organizational skills and a strong attention to detail
This is a remote virtual/home-based position requiring travel by air and automobile to various states within the sales region. Travel is estimated to be 50%. The base salary for this position is $120,000 to $130,000 plus 25% bonus potential and full benefits.
Interested candidates should forward a resume (MS Word attachment preferred) plus a brief email describing your relevant experience and reasons for your interest to: Christl@jsmithassoc.com. Or, you may call (519) 270-3780 for more information. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
JEFF SMITH & ASSOCIATES is a technical recruiting firm that specializes in the placement of exceptional candidates in the Water and Wastewater Treatment industries. To view other opportunities on which we are currently working, go to our website at: www.jsmithassoc.com