The Wastewater Treatment Environmental Manager is responsible for the operation and direction of a fully functional Wastewater Treatment Plant. This position maintains all equipment in the Wastewater Treatment Plant and is also responsible for ensuring effective facility maintenance, housekeeping and safety; maintaining regulatory compliance for the building, grounds, and treatment facility. This position has direct oversight for equipment, facility and workers.
Duties and responsibilities for this position include:
- Lead the daily operation of the wastewater treatment plant and ensure environmental compliance for the sit; effectively resolving issues as they arise.
- Manage workers associated with the system, monitoring for the performance of proper and timely maintenance of equipment and facility; to include ground and wastewater treatment system.
- Supervise the cleaning, maintenance and upkeep of process equipment in the wastewater facility, assisting in the process as needed.
- Effectively work with plant maintenance and contractors as required.
- Manage facility environmental programs and ensure compliance with Federal, State and local environmental statutes, and ensure inspections by regulatory and outside agencies are coordinated, and deficiencies are minimized and corrected.
- Act a plant liaison for local, state, and federal agencies related to compliance issues and public complaints; work to resolve issues; involve Plant Manager and Environmental Compliance Manager when as appropriate.
- Keep current with developments in environmental regulations; share knowledge of changes with wastewater operators and the plant management team.
- Assist with accident prevention and injury/incident investigations.
- Document, investigate and report all uncontrolled hazards and unsafe conditions; facilitating corrective action as appropriate.
- Gather and submit water and other samples as required in compliance with EPA and other regulations.
- Perform tests as required to treat water properly and conduct BOD air monitoring.
- Obtain and maintain air monitoring certificate by state.
- Perform and contribute to the Site Training Plans by conducting hands on WWT Safety Experience training.
- Conduct risk assessments within the wastewater treatment facility at the task, job and process levels.
- Train Wastewater Operators and other plant workers (as required) on environmental job duties and responsibilities, including best practices for keeping water in-compliance with city and state requirements.
- Monitor gauges and charts, accurately recording data related to wastewater.
- Ensure all documentation is in place and kept current.
- Ensure work practices and facility design are compliant with codes, standards and applicable regulations. Identify and promote best management practices.
- Ensure daily sampling and lab analysis is completed; work to resolve issues; escalating to Plant Manager as appropriate.
- Supervise daily operation changes to ensure they are completed correctly and timely.
- Audit the record keeping of lab analysis, flows, and maintenance items for accuracy; providing feedback to workers to ensure correct understanding of the process.
- Monitor the inventory levels of chemicals, lab supplies, and spare parts; order as needed.
- Complete the site environmental reporting as assigned, (example: Tier 2, Form R, and Annual Air Emissions Inventory). Communicate corrective actions to workers and management as needed.
- Advise Corporate team concerning all wastewater needs related to permits etc.
- Prepare monthly and annual discharge reports as well as other regulatory reports; file in appropriate location; share information with Plant Manager as appropriate.
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- Responsible for employee relations including work direction of employees, hiring, training, performance reviews, administering policies and procedures, disciplinary action, and compensation recommendations.
- Direct implementation of departmental objectives, goals and policies.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures and guidelines.
Qualifications of this position include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science or related field required, or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Wastewater Operator Class IV license required or to achieve within Company/State guidelines
- Minimum four (4) years of Wastewater Treatment experience required, (2) years within a Class III or higher facility.
- Storm water discharge monitoring, surface water discharge and air monitoring experience required.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience in manufacturing setting preferred.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with executives, managers, colleagues and individuals inside and outside the organization.
- Demonstrate attention to detail in composing, typing, and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Able to exchange basic informational data (fill out forms/checklists, copy data from one record to another, etc.); interview to gather information; advise others on alternatives/options; coach and counsel others; read, understand and 920 technical data.
- Basic computer skills with Microsoft Excel, Power Point, Word, and Outlook.
- Intermediate math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, comparative analysis, measurements, statistical analysis).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills, establish priorities, ability to multitask, and meet deadlines.
- Decisions administered soundly and consistently with policies and in compliance with appropriate laws and regulations.
- Demonstrate leadership as part of a cross-functional plant management team.
- Ability to solve problems by adapting knowledge and experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively at all levels in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to apply logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions.
- Exhibit a professional manner in dealing with others and work to maintain constructive working relationships.
The salary for this position is $85,000+, plus full benefits and bonus potential.
Interested candidates should forward a resume (MS Word attachment preferred) plus a brief email describing your relevant experience and reasons for your interest to: Christl@jsmithassoc.com. Or, you may call (519) 270-3780 for more information. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
JEFF SMITH & ASSOCIATES is a technical recruiting firm that specializes in the placement of exceptional candidates in the Water and Wastewater Treatment industries. To view other opportunities on which we are currently working, go to our website at: www.jsmithassoc.com