Our client is a small but rapidly growing innovative wastewater treatment technology manufacturer and service company. Their proprietary wastewater treatment technology uses renewable and waste energy sources to power evaporative water treatment processes used in natural gas production, coal power plants and solid waste industries.
The Mechanical Engineer position is ideally suited to someone who is looking to play a large role in a team environment and wants to grow with the company. The position is based either in southern Wisconsin, the Boston area, or remote work for the right person.
The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for:
- Mechanical design of structural skids, platforms, pipe supports, FRP tanks, etc.
- Specifying equipment such as blowers, pumps, valves, tanks, instrumentation, and piping.
- Designing a skidded package for all components per a P&ID.
- Providing technical and operational support in the design, development, installation and commissioning, and maintenance of the company’s equipment and systems.
- Managing multiple equipment design, build and installation projects with values in the range of $2,000,000 to $12,000,000 per agreed to contract terms and conditions.
- Setting and maintaining project schedules and project budgets (including labor and materials, to meet forecasted margins); drafting and implementing changes orders if appropriate.
- Coordinating internal and external resources for project execution including providing regular, periodic project status updates, working to contract milestones, identifying long lead time items, and escalating project challenges.
- Functioning as the primary, external customer contact on assigned projects, with focus on exemplary customer service.
- Managing the procurement of equipment and material to implement design basis requirements on various projects including:
- Developing contractor bid packages, review contractor proposals, and assist with award selection in support of civil, building erection, pipe fabrication/installation, and electrical & instrumentation scope of work within a project;
- Reviewing customer bid requests relative to system installation specifications and for integration into proposal and project execution plans, particularly with respect to field design and installation of equipment systems;
- Providing support as needed during the business development process (e.g., providing installation cost estimates and related technical advisory support).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Delegating to and supervising the work of a junior engineer.
- Managing drafting requirements through a designer
Requirements for this position include:
- Mechanical engineering degree or equivalents; prefer college degree in a technical engineering field or commensurate experience in service operations or technical project management.
- 5-10 years job related experience preferably in wastewater, chemical, power, or other process industry.
- Broad practical experience designing and working with industrial systems; possess solid equipment and system operational knowledge to enable effective collaboration in the design of detailed water treatment systems. Practical experience to include:
- Designing specifications for process equipment such as instrumentation, pumps, blowers, VFDs, and piping systems
- Evaluating different vendor components
- Managing procurement activities on infrastructure projects
- Managing vendor production to meet specifications
- Previous experience preferred with FRP tanks/vessels and CPVC piping systems.
- Strong mechanical and electrical aptitude with knowledge of carbon steel, stainless steel and higher alloys; understanding of process water and wastewater systems is a plus.
- Experience with Solidworks preferred.
- Project management skills including development of project requirements, budgeting, scheduling, and closing projects; experience directing the work of consultants, labs and vendors.
- Other required capabilities include:
- Willingness to travel to project, customer and vendor sites; likely will require overnight and periodically extended stays;
- Ability to climb ladders and steps, lift up to 50 pounds, walk on outdoor surfaces;
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be eligible to work in the United States;
- Ability to work independently and cross functionally including working in concert with others of equal or different skill sets; and
- Must demonstrate good judgment, an ownership mentality and approach and safe work habits
The salary for this position is $100,000 to $120,000, plus an outstanding benefits package which includes health, dental and disability insurances, 401(k) plan, and a Section 125 flexible spending account plan. Candidates must be able to travel to project sites, customer and vendor sites throughout the US.
Interested candidates should forward a resume (MS Word attachment preferred) plus a brief email describing your relevant experience and reasons for your interest to: Christl@jsmithassoc.com. Or, you may call (519) 270-3780 for more information. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
JEFF SMITH & ASSOCIATES is a technical recruiting firm that specializes in the placement of exceptional candidates in the Water and Wastewater Treatment industries. To view other opportunities on which we are currently working, go to our website at: www.jsmithassoc.com