My client provides a range of trusted disinfection, oxidation and filtration technologies for water and wastewater treatment in Industrial and Municipal markets worldwide. With more than 50 years’ experience in water treatment, the company has developed, delivered and installed thousands of installations worldwide across a variety of applications.
They have contracted my services to help them find a Director of Sales. Reporting to the General Manager, the position will manage and lead all sales activities, develop strategy and implement plans aligned with the long-term growth objectives for the Disinfection & Filtration business in North America. The position will manage a team of Regional Sales Managers, Inside Sales Managers, and Aftermarket Sales Representatives, and be responsible to oversee all sales channel partners made up of manufactures representatives, distributors, OEM’s and key accounts throughout the territory of the US, Canada and Mexico.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Creating and implementing the company’s sales strategies across the company and monitoring effectiveness.
- Setting order intake targets for the company and setting key performance indicators.
- Coach, train and lead the sales team to ensure all assigned targets are met.
- Meet with sales managers on a regular basis to assess company performance against KPI’s.
- Presenting sales results to upper management on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Monitoring the sales activities of competitors and identifying opportunities where appropriate.
- Overseeing performance management of the sales staff.
- Working closely with the national accounts team in order to secure large accounts.
- Ensuring the organization has an effective sales training program.
- Negotiating agreements for contracts with customers and ensuring commerciality.
- Implementing an effective sales pipeline and lead tracking process; ensuring CRM is being used effectively and providing a competitive advantage.
- Drive the development of the work ethic, culture and values of the sales and business development group. Through personal example, establish the style and approach which will characterize the company’s dealings with the marketplace.
- Manage the entire sales process from developing opportunities, promoting solutions, closing the sale and final contract negotiations.
- Recommend marketing programs to drive awareness and lead generation initiatives for end users, specifiers and influencers in the industry.
- Provide thought leadership around launching new products and market approaches.
- Attend and participate as a representative of the company’s management in national and regional Industry conferences and trade shows as necessary.
- Travel as needed to support business needs. Approximately 60%+ travel is estimated.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree and 10+ years of leadership experience in sales/business development in the water & wastewater treatment industry. Engineering degree preferred. An MBA would be a plus. Additionally, they should have a:
- Successful track record of leading a sales force selling large capital equipment, aftermarket parts and services to the water & wastewater treatment industry.
- History of achieving sales growth and delivering results.
- Natural leader with an ability to inspire performance with sales teams.
- Strong commercial outlook with an entrepreneurial approach to business development.
- Proven ability to assess market needs, identify and package appropriate solutions.
- Strong understanding of capital equipment markets and competitive offerings in the water & wastewater treatment space with a focus on disinfection and/or filtration preferred.
- Experience in managing manufacturer’s representatives, distributors, and selling to large Engineering and Construction companies required.
- Proven ability to work within a team environment at all levels of an organization.
- Excellent written, verbal, presentation and general communication skills.
- Experience in working with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, Salesforce and SAP a plus.
Interested candidates should forward a resume (MS Word attachment preferred) plus a brief email describing your relevant experience and reasons for your interest to: Jeff@jsmithassoc.com. Or, you may call (978) 448-8080 for more information. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
JEFF SMITH & ASSOCIATES is a technical recruiting firm that specializes in the placement of exceptional candidates in the Water and Wastewater Treatment industries. To view other opportunities on which we are currently working, go to our website at: www.jsmithassoc.com.