This newly created position is responsible for the overall operation and management of a Pennsylvania based sewer and wastewater treatment plant and reports to the District’s Board of Directors. The ideal candidate will be a professional engineer with technical knowledge and operations of sewer collection systems, pumping systems, and wastewater treatment plant facilities.
The general duties and responsibilities of the Director of Operations include, but are not limited to, the following functions and activities:
- keep the Authority Board updated on current happenings and attending Board meetings;
- assist in the expedient and appropriate purchasing for the Authority, in accordance with the Authority budget;
- coordinate reporting procedures from all Authority departments;
- administer all staffing concerns with direction from the Authority Board;
- attend such meetings as requested by the Authority Board, of committees, boards and commissions;
- advise and consult with the Authority Board on matters regarding policy formulation and implementation;
- implement all Authority policies, directives, rules and regulations, ordinances and resolutions adopted by the Authority Board;
- keep the Authority Board regularly informed on the conduct of Authority affairs;
- be on call 24/7 for plant emergencies;
- work with contractors to secure pricing, scheduling, etc., administer contracts and supervise their performance and execution;
- work with regulatory agencies with regards to reporting, inspections, yearly testing and monitoring such as Form 43 Analysis;
- work closely with engineering firms on plant expansion projects, problems, etc.
- ensure plant is staffed accordingly to complete work;
- oversee ordering of all materials such as: chlorine, polymer, propane, fuels, safety equipment, etc., and most parts and equipment;
- work in field troubleshooting the plant issues;
- make sure all weekly maintenance sheets are distributed and completed by plant personnel;
- complete and distribute monthly reports – DMR’s;
- schedule safety classes, and ensure employees follow safety procedures and use the appropriate equipment and gear;
- complete/approve weekly work schedules and annual vacation schedules;
- work with employees in regards to HR, discipline, union relations; complete/approve payroll calculations;
- make sure of vehicle upkeep, safety and maintenance;
- assist IT professionals in regards to computer equipment;
- make sure all buildings and grounds are well maintained;
- work with incoming sludge haulers on scheduling, accept/deny certain sludges, etc.
- taking classes to keep license and staying up to date on wastewater news and technology;
- PA One Call Receiver Primary Contact and responsible for all PA One Call tickets.
The education requirements for this position include:
- Engineering degree or technical equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years experience of management experience in the public sector, leadership skills, and financial/budget experience.
- Experience with all aspects of administrative, financial, and technical operations of the Sewer Authority
- Pennsylvania Operator License needed for this Plant are Classes A & E, Sub Classes 2 & 4
The salary for this position is $125,000, but is negotiable for the right person, plus full benefits.
Interested candidates should forward a resume (MS Word attachment preferred) plus a brief email describing your relevant experience and reasons for your interest to: Christl@jsmithassoc.com. Or, you may call (519) 270-3780 for more information. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
JEFF SMITH & ASSOCIATES is a technical recruiting firm that specializes in the placement of exceptional candidates in the Water and Wastewater Treatment industries. To view other opportunities on which we are currently working, go to our website at: www.jsmithassoc.com.